Serious tooth damage and loss can occur unless endodontic therapy is performed – that is, unless work is done on the interior of the tooth to clean up the decay, remove all bacteria, and fill the empty root canal with dental filler. This is popularly known as “a root canal”, meaning a root canal procedure, also called root canal therapy.
Drs. Doolin and Haddad practice endodontics to assist their Michigan patients who are dealing with disease or decay in the pulp chamber, pulp and root canal areas of the teeth.
Endodontic therapy requires a high degree of specialization, and our endodontic dentistry team has undergone years of training and real world experience. Whatever problems may be affecting your root canal, you can trust that our dental professionals are expertly prepared to handle both the routine and complex endodontic procedures.
Causes of Endodontic Damage
- Bacteria may spread through the enamel and dentin to cause decay and infection of the dental pulp.
- A physical injury to the tooth can open small spaces for bacteria to invade and cause decay.
- An overload of dental work can weaken a tooth and make it more susceptible to root problems.
- Bacteria that have made their way right into the tooth root can spread into surrounding gum tissue, and even down into the bone. If you have compromised tooth root integrity you will experience swelling, pain, bleeding gums, and loosening teeth.
Root Canal Procedures
Root canal therapy may be recommended to help save your natural tooth when the dental pulp has become diseased.
- Endodontic surgery may be used for diagnostic purposes, when X-rays and symptoms fail to give enough information
- Our doctors may use endodontic surgery to complete a root canal procedure
- Endodontic surgery may also be used to save a tooth that has already had a root canal procedure but has failed to heal properly or has developed infection
- In severe cases of root damage, endodontic surgery may be used for the purpose of repair
Most treated root canals should last a lifetime! Drs. Doolin and Haddad use high quality endodontic procedures to ensure your root canal procedure is successful and your tooth remains firmly in place.
Our skilled dental makeover team is ready to rejuvenate your smile with endodontic therapy and other reconstructive dentistry treatments. You can learn more about the benefits of endodontic therapy. Call (248) 656-2020 or email Rochester Advanced Dentistry today for your personal smile evaluation.